Did your video series go viral? Was your Tweet one of the few heard around the world? Have you found a freelance assignment because of your branded page on Facebook? Then ASBPE wants to hear from you.
The Chicago chapter is looking for social media success stories for its upcoming Digital Boot Camp on April 20. We will be hosting a panel of writers and editors that have succeeded in engaging users through social media. If you believe you’re a good fit, let us know by March 1 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Chicago Chapter of ASBPE will be hosting an All-Day Workshop on October 1. The workshop will focus on how editors can position themselves to be more marketable in their careers.
Marketing Yourself (The Editor/Journalist as Entrepreneur)
Learn how to market yourself as a journalist during this full-day session featuring speakers who have built themselves into their own brands. Whether you are a staff writer/editor or freelancer, employed or unemployed, you are welcome to join us for a day of practical sessions for survival in the changing world of publishing.
When: Friday, Oct. 1, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Where: Columbia College, 600 S. Michigan Ave., Room 401, Chicago
Cost: $10 for members; $20 for nonmembers
Plus: 3 raffle drawings, including one attendee chosen to win an iFlip camcorder
- 8:30-9 a.m. Registration and breakfast
- 9-9:45 a.m. Keynote Speaker Adrian Holovaty: Web developer, journalist and musician
- 10-10:45 a.m. Hot Skills to Maintain Your Marketability, featuring social media and job satisfaction gurus including Ryan Paugh and Shane Mac
- 11-11:45 a.m. Adapting to Multiple Platforms: Practical Tips on iPads, Social Media and More with Stephen Herner, Putman Media, and Matt Carmichael, Adage.com
- Noon-1:15 p.m. Lunch
- 1:15-2:15 p.m. Roundtable: Surviving a Volatile Marketplace
Open Google document to RSVP to the event.
For questions about the event or the Chicago chapter contact Chapter President Erin Erickson or 630-625-1138.